Monday, February 12, 2007

Hi everyone!

First, I'd like to say how pleased I am that so many people are reading this blog and commenting and emailing me...I think this sort of thing would have been really helpful when I was going through the admissions process last year, so I'm glad that I have been able to help!

Keep the questions and comments coming!!

Second, can you say THESIS??? That is pretty much all that I've been talking about, thinking about, dreaming (more like nightmares!) about for the past week or two! I realize that I have already blogged about my thesis, but I'm sorry--you will just have to deal with it for at least one more week! My first draft is due this Friday. I'm writing about a topic that really interests me, but it has been a lot harder than I thought. There is so much that I want to cover yet when I'm writing I have a hard time getting it all out. I have read so much about my topic (the effects of September 11th and globalization on the flow of students between the U.S. and other nations) and I have read a lot about writing literature reviews, yet when it comes down to it this is HARD!

Luckily, the final draft is not due until late April and I will already have my first draft complete by the end of this week! That will give me plenty of time to meet with my peer group and instructors to get suggestions for revisions. The anxiety level of most of my classmates is at an all-time high right now. We have been researching our topics since early October but this is now the "real deal." Even though our instructors have stressed the fact that this is a first draft and there will be plenty of revisions, I can not help but be a little bit nervous.

With that being said, it is time for me to get back to work! I apologize for the brief nature of this post--I promise to shed a different light on the happenings at GSE next week after my first draft is submitted and out of mind, for a short while at least! Please continue to get in touch with me, I love hearing from prospective students!!

~Lezlie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do appreciate your weblog. It's gorgeous. I am an English teacher in my country - IRAN, and very interested to continue my education in TESOl. I wonder if you can help me with some useful information regarding :
a- the cost of living in pensylvania state for a student life style
b- university tuition for an international student TESOL MA program
c-the TOEFL iBT required score.
d- the e-mail address of Graduate program secretary/coordinator
I do appreciate it if you consider it answering.
Best wishes,
Sharifi(Mr.)

Lezlie said...

Hi Sharifi!

I'm glad you have found my blog helpful! To answer your questions:

a) The cost of living in Philadelphia is comparable to most cities of it's size. However, it is less expensive to live in Philadelphia than say New York City, Washington, DC, London, Chicago, etc. So while there are things such as rent that are more expensive in a major city, for it's size Philadelphia has one of the lowest cost living standards. For more information on graduate student housing you can check out their website: http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/housing/

b) Tuition for GSE can be found at: http://www.gse.upenn.edu/admissions_financial/tuition.php

c) I do not know the required TOEFl scores, if there is one (for example, I know we do not have a required GRE score). It may be helpful for you to email the program director for TESOL and she may be able to give you some more information. Her name is Penny Creedon and her email address is: PENNYC@GSE.UPENN.EDU

d) You can also contact Mary Schlesinger at: maryzs@gse.upenn.edu

Best of luck in the admissions process. Please let me know if there is any other information that I could help you with!

~Lezlie