Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ethnography

Thanks again for all of the comments and emails! I really hope that I have been able to help all of you that have contacted me. PLEASE let me know if there is anything else that you'd like me to blog about, I'd be happy to write about what interests my readers...

So, this weekend is the 28th Annual Ethnography in Education Research Forum. The forum is sponsored by the Center for Urban Ethnography and is hosted by the Graduate School of Education. Some of my classmates are volunteering and others are just attending a few of the sessions in between working or studying. I volunteered as a reviewer last October, where I had the opportunity to read about a dozen proposals for the forum and give my opinions on whether or not I thought others would be interested in seeing any of those papers presented here. It is now interesting to see which of the papers that I reviewed are being presented.

There are two days of presentations, Friday and Saturday, where numerous ethnographers present their work. I will be attending the forum on Friday, for most of the day. I still haven't decided which presentations to go to, there are so many that seem really interesting! You can find the schedule here, which will give you a better idea of the critical subjects that these scholars examine.

I am currently enrolled in EDUC 672 - Introduction to Ethnographic and Qualititative Research in Education, so the forum will be a unique way to see the kind of work that ethnography produces. And admission is free to Penn students! I will write a follow-up post with my reactions after I attend the forum. Please let me know if you have any questions on this or other events at Penn.

~Lezlie

No comments: